First, the veteran-players:
- Gary “Glitter” Levy was the runner-up in Season 1 when his closest ally Topaz didn’t realize she was voting FOR a winner and not to evict Jillian. He would’ve won were it not for Topaz’s misunderstanding of the rules. Gary is a 25-year-old artist from Toronto who lives in Ajax. Second chance strategy: “First and foremost, I’m going to reiterate the voting instructions when I get to the final two. ‘Houseguests, vote for the person you want to see win.’” He’s going in guns blazing and with bravado.
- Neda Kalantar is best known for being cut in third place by her closest ally Jon when he won the final HOH and evicted her in the finale. She is a 25-year-old fashion stylist and entrepreneur from Vancouver. Her strategy this time around: “Last time I went in and laid low for the first few weeks. I can’t do that now. I have a reputation going in. I will cut anyone I need to cut this season, and I won’t look back.” I don’t think she will think twice about stabbing an ally in the back.
- Kevin Martin fell victim to the triple eviction despite receiving no votes against him. Kevin is a 24-year-old Pro Poker Player and Content Creator from Calgary. Kevin says, “The first time I played I thought having a good social game was just getting along with everyone, but it turned out to be a little shallow. This time I want to get to know people deeper.” I’m not sure ‘deeper’ is really a strategy unless you’re in a showmance. However, as a pro poker player, Kevin must know how to read people so that may give him a leg up on the houseguests.
- Bruno Ielo was the first houseguest to win veto during the triple eviction and lasted 8 weeks without a nomination his first time around. He was evicted with a coup d’ete twist that put him on the block. Bruno is a 33-year-old construction worker who says, “I don’t have a set strategy. I need to meet everybody, see what they’re about, see the personalities, learn their strengths and weaknesses and use those against them.” He obviously has social game given his past performance, but will his fellow houseguests know that going in and use it against him?
Now, the newbies:
- Andre “Dre” Gwenaelle is a 25-year-old Masters degree student from Montreal who believes her beauty, brains and sassy attitude will serve her well. Okay–that’s a general description of most females cast on Big Brother regardless of the franchise. She is going into the house with no set strategy, but believes she is flexible enough to adapt to any situation. Flying by the seat of her pants?? No strategy?? Girl, bye.
- Mark Chrysler is a 24-year-old bartender from Edmonton. He describes himself as a fun, outgoing fitness-lover. He has a two-pronged strategy going into the house: Dominate physical challenges and use his charm to up his social game. He may end up being perceived as a threat if he does dominate all the physical challenges, but if he has social game and forms a strong alliance, this might carry him for at least a few weeks.
- William Laprise Desbiens is a 23-year-old Marketing student and blogger from Trois-Riviera. He plans to use his French accent as a weapon to confuse houseguests. Ultimately, he wants to be himself and have fun in the house, but if he has to backstab in the process, he will. The French accent trickery may be ingenious or an annoyance to other houseguests if they catch on. It’s a gamble, especially with returning players in the mix.
- Emily Hawkin is a 23-year-old singer/songwriter and server who is going into the house “really freaking single.” She says that she has contemplated multiple strategies before going into the house but is holding out until the first HOH competition to decide which will serve her best. She may be looking for a showmance, which is generally not a good strategy for long-term game-play.
So far, my money is on the veteran players since they are going with in with some Big Brother noteriety. That can either be a benefit or detriment, but with the field evenly split between newbies and veterans, the veterans may already have relationships with one another going into the house and thus form a quick alliance to thin the newbie heard.
Join me tomorrow for more BBCAN5 cast reviews when the second set of houseguests is revealed.